Monday, May 01, 2006

Introduction

Why run the length of Japan?

I was asked that question many times. Let me give you a short answer first. The long one will be known after reading the posts.

First and foremost, I love running. I started running regularly at the age of 14 while attending an American school in Japan and had completed my first marathon at that age.

Secondly, I wanted to see parts of Japan that most Japanese don't really see. I felt that the best way to do this was on foot. Japan is not Tokyo or Osaka. The real Japan is in the small farming communities far removed from the cities.

The final reason is a bit complex. I am a US citizen, born and raised in Japan. I moved to Guam to live on US soil. As an adult, I was no longer allowed to reside in Japan unless I had a sponsor. Because of this, the run was a culmination of my wish to see the country of Japan and also to say "Good-bye" as my new life was already beginning on the island of Guam.

No comments: