Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What are you doing in Guaaaaaam?

I had someone ask me that question, as if it was some kind of a crime or that one had to be stupid to voluntarily move to a small island to live. I couldn't believe I was hearing this. I still remember the details. The year was 1984 and I was standing in what seemed at the time like one of the most depressing places on earth--on a farm in Castroville, California. It was my first day there, and the dull artichoke farm scenery covered with gray fog did not leave a good first impression. All I could think of was John Steinbeck and The Grapes of Wrath. (Later on, as I got to know the place I found that it wasn't so bad after all. In fact, it is a nice, quiet community not too far from San Francisco).

Anyway, let me get to the point. I did not move to Guam for the scenery, although I must say it is spectacular. I did not go for the weather, either. The super hot and humid conditions do not make running easy. It just wipes you out. I first decided to move to Guam when I realized that by age 27, if I had not lived on US soil for 2 consecutive years, that I would have no citizenship. Yeah, that's right. I'll get into the details later, but that's about it.

Guam, being only 3.5 hours away from Japan, is the closest U.S. territory. It is where "America's Day Begins," with the territory being the first U.S. soil that greets every new day. I made the decision to move to Guam in 1978 when I was a Freshman at Sophia University in Tokyo. In 1979, I made the move. After moving to Guam by myself at the age of 19, I have learned to love the island for its people and the multicultural aspect of the island community. Sure it has problems--a disturbing crime rate, history of frequent super typhoon visits, among others--but the place grows on you. I have never felt more comfortable in a community as I have felt on Guam.

I am sure Castroville can be that way for many people. It just isn't right to assume that we all want to live in the same type of environment. Each one of us has our own priorities when it comes to selecting a place to live. For me, Guam is home.

1 comment:

marappu said...

Hey scmike, the Garlic Festival in Gilroy must be another good event. Castroville is cool with me. It's been a while since I last visited, but I recall doing some good runs there. The mark of civilization to me--towns with good places to run. Big, crowded cities with no parks--forget it!