Friday, August 04, 2006

Genghis Khan


August 4, 1983, Thursday

I decided to make today a rest day in Sunagawa, since I am so close to the finish line. Better to be safe than sorry. I slept in until 9:00am then went to the city museum with Mr. Shima's son.

After returning, I ate lunch and then slept for a few hours. Later in the day, I called Mark Cook, a reporter with Guam Cable TV and talked for a while. The highlight of the day was going out with the Shima family and friends to dinner.

We had what they call a "Genghis Khan" in Japan, which is very popular in Hokkaido. It is a dish with a mixture of onions and other vegetables cooked with sheep or goat meat (see photo). It was delicious and went well with the Sapporo beer. I felt a bit strange eating so much on a day when I did not run a step.

After discussing with some of the runners tonight, I decided to alter my course to Wakkanai. We felt it would be better to avoid going through Asahikawa, which is a fairly good-sized city. The decision was to take the route along the western coast of Hokkaido all the way to Wakkanai. It is a less traveled route and may be less stressful due to the avoidance of the large city.

The plan still is to finish the run on the 10th of August.

No comments: