Friday, August 11, 2006

Kicking Back



This is a present day entry. Twenty-three years have passed since I finished that run and now I am a 47 year old geezer. I am still running regularly, though. Not as fast as I once did, but I still plug away on a daily basis for about an hour or more.

The photo shows Mr. Kanzo Ito, the man who ran in the Berlin Olympic Marathon back in 1936. He was the President of the Japan Marathon Association when the photo was taken. We met up in Tokyo and went to the UPI office for the photo. Later, I visited with some of my former track and field teammates from Sophia International University.

After completing the run, I did go out and buy some new clothes at a fancy-dancy men's clothing boutique in Wakkanai. I had some people taking my measurements and putting me in some cool clothes. That was a big mistake, getting precise measurements immediately after my run for some new clothes. In just a few short weeks, the clothes became too tight. That's how skinny I was at the finish.

I remember getting a pair of some olive green pants, and an orange, tan, and brownish green plaid shirt at that one store. They looked good and fit just right. They ended up in the trash later that year.

The memories remain, and so do some photos and slides that I did not have the opportunity to post on this blog. Perhaps one day I will expand the account to include more photos and details.

Until then, my friends, keep on running, walking, or whatever it is that you do to stay fit and happy!

3 comments:

marappu said...

Hi JJ:

Thanks again for the comments.

I have been with the habit of running for a long time now, and I was fortunate to have met people who taught me to love the sport. It really is important that we enjoy what we are doing if we are to continue for the long term.

Keep it up JJ, and keep having fun!

Anonymous said...

I haven't run in years, but you have truly inspired me to run again. Thank you for motivating me!

marappu said...

I think you have always had it in you to put in the miles again...you were just waiting for the right time for the comeback.

I'm not sure who you are, but I'll probably see you on the road someday soon.