Sunday, June 25, 2006

Feel Good, Look Awful


June 24, 1983, Friday

It was sunny when I started the run at 6:30am. (The photo shows me in front of the Youth Hostel. When I first saw it, I couldn't believe it was me! The bags under my eyes show how tired I was.) I ran from Kanmon Bridge with Mr. Yasuda of the Shimonoseki Running Club. He lasted for about 40km, then I went the last 30km on my own into Yamaguchi City for a total of 70km for the day. Not a bad start on Honshu, but I know this island is going to be a very long stretch before I reach Hokkaido.

A TV crew was waiting for me about 5km outside of the city and started filming as I ran into town. I was soaked from the rain that started falling from about noon. I did start to worry about getting cold and sick like I did in Kyushu, but it turned out to be a relatively short downpour.

Near the end of the run, I started feeling pretty good. This seems to be a pattern. The last 10km are usually no problem and I am able to finish in "cruise control." After finishing the run at Yamaguchi Stadium around 3:00pm, I took a shower there and headed for my hotel.

Now I am eating and drinking in huge amounts. This is a good sigh. I must be burning at least 4000 to 5000 calories on my runs, plus the average 2000 calories that a person needs for everyday activities. I not only eat dinner, but also eat snacks all evening afterwards. Even though I was not a regular beer-drinker, I have become almost dependent on a beer or two to relax in the evening after each run.

2 comments:

Wayne said...

I'm sure you were more concern about how you felt and not how you looked. I guess you didn't pick up any ladies on your run.

marappu said...

The story about the ladies (fashion models) that I met on the run will come later...