Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Long Way Home


June 18, 1983, Saturday

We left the Inoues’ house at 7:00am. Mr. Inoue gave me a ride in his car to Uto High School so that I could start running where I left off a few days ago. Some press people were waiting (UPI) so I talked with them for a while before starting the run at 8:10am. I really was anxious to get started.

I ended up going the long way to Kumamoto, as I followed the narrow roads away from the main highway. It was hot out there on the blacktop, and I had to double back a few times because I took the wrong road. I ended up taking a whole 3 hours to put in the 15km back into Kumamoto. When I finally got to the city, I was greeted by more news people who were waiting for me at the Inoues’ house. This time it was reporters from a TV station. I took a short break and chatted with them for a bit. (The photo above is with Mr. and Mrs. Inoue, in long, white pants, with some Kumamoto Running Club members.)

I hit the road again and ran on to Ueki for another 20kms. I was able to run this distance today with no problems, other than the fact that I got a bit irritable when I found I was running extra distance earlier the heat this morning. The afternoon turned out to be partly cloudy, with a little sun. I reached my goal of Ueki at around 2:15pm. I quickly found a traditional Japanese-style inn and soaked in a hot bath. I then proceeded to stuff my face with food and drink. My schedule for the rest of the afternoon/evening was to kick back and watch TV, something that helps me to relax and not worry too much about the distance ahead of me. Tomorrow I will have to get up early to put in as much distance as I can before it gets too hot.

I am starting to feel like myself again due to the fact that I am running again. I am easing back into the longer distances in order to survive and not break down. Each step that I take is getting me closer to my goal. I need to keep reminding myself, though, that getting to the goal is not the primary purpose of this run...the experiences along the way there are what really count.

No comments: