Tuesday, June 20, 2006

One Island at a Time


June 20, 1983, Monday

I'm still dealing with the Tsuyu season as I follow the northerly route of the rainy season. Tsuyu season will be over soon in Okinawa, but not here in Kyushu. When I started my run at 6:30am, the rain was coming down strong. I know I said I was going to avoid running in these conditions, but I started running anyway. I just can’t waste any more time. The rain let up by mid-morning, so I lucked out. I took my time covering the 35km into Futsukaichi, where Mr. Inaba, whose daughter Sachiko is in Canon City, was waiting for me at the train station. He took me to his home. I took a bath there and relaxed in the house while the hard rain began to fall again. We continued our discussion about Colorado and his daughter. It was a good way for me to unwind after being on the road.

It does get stressful running on the road. Small things can become major nagging points in your mind. I already mentioned the extra distance I was putting in by running to the train stations. The exhaust from the cars has been bothering me. The black smoke from buses and cars can do a number to your head. Running through long, dark tunnels where the smoke just sits also affects you on the run. I usually come out of those tunnels with a massive headache from the exhaust. Some tunnels are narrow and winding, which have resulted in some close calls with cars. The drivers don’t expect to see a skinny, dark Japanese American running in these tunnels and hug the turns as they drive through. I’ve flattened my body against the wall of the tunnel to avoid getting wiped out. I also should mention the snakes. Japan has Mamushu (see photo), a deadly snake that you need to watch out for. On a number of occasions, I have come close to stepping on a snake. These creatures like the rice paddies and I frequently see them while running by the rice farms.

Later in the evening, I had some tempura, made by Mrs. Inaba. It was delicious. I bet Sachiko misses this tempura. I doubt Canon City has this kind of tempura to offer its residents. However, I'm sure Sachiko is making up for the lack of authentic Japanese tempura. Come to think of it, a big, fat juicy steak from the state of Colorado sounds really good to me.

Now I only have a few more days of running on Kyushu before I reach the main island of Honshu. Just take it one island at a time...Hey Robert Baldridge, I just may make it out of Kyushu after all!

No comments: