Friday, June 16, 2006

Tonkotsu Ramen


June 16, 1983, Thursday

Today, I was finally given the OK to leave the hospital after finding that my temperature was down to 36.4. At 2:00pm, I got my stuff together and headed over to Mr. Inoue's house to rest. The plan is to stay there to gather my strength today and tomorrow.

I spent the entire afternoon in the house skimming through Mr. Inoue's large collection of running magazines. Hell, if I can't run, I may as well read about it. My appetite is slowly returning.

In the evening, the entire Inoue family (Mrs. Inoue and 2 young elementary school-age sons) went out to eat ramen at a noodle shop. As I spent time with this family today, I was able to observe how happy this family was together. It was obvious how much each member of the family enjoyed each other's company. I was also trying to think of ways that I could possibly repay this family for the kindness they had shown to me during this setback. Having a stranger like me imposing on their lives must have been difficult for them, but they did not show it at all.

The ramen that we ate at the noodle shop seemed to be the perfect nourishment for me. In Kyushu, they use the Tonkotsu soup, which is made from simmered pork bones. This broth tastes much different than the more common Shoyu (soy sauce) flavor soup that you find in Honshu.

From reviewing what I have been writing in the past couple of days, it seems that food is my second love next to running. Do I run to eat, or do I eat to run? What difference does it make? I enjoy doing both. I know that I am not quite ready to start up with the running just yet. However, I do want to get moving on down the road.

2 comments:

Wayne said...

I think we eat and live to run. Everytime I ready your post, I get hungry looking at the pictures.

Anonymous said...

It used to irrate me when people would tell me that I eat too much sweets. They would say," For someone who works out a gym, why do you eat the way you do?" My response, "I work out so I could eat as I please."