Friday, June 23, 2006

Good-bye Kyushu


June 23, 1983, Thursday

The run today started from Yahata Station at 9:30am. It was mostly sunny and partly cloudy during the run. Mr. Ito followed me in a taxi for the 30km to Shimonoseki. To go from Kyushu to the main island of Honshu, I had to run in an underwater tunnel. (No, I didn't see any fish!) The tunnel is a totally safe one and has a place for pedestrians. It's about 800 meters long. (See Photo) I finished running by noon after reaching the major milestone of Honshu.

I now feel like I've accomplished something by making it to another island. Tonight I'm staying in a Youth Hostel near Kanmon Bridge. I really want to run more mileage everyday, but I don't want to be rude to the running club members who are here to help me. I need to stick with the fairly conservative plan that does not involve the kind of high volume that I started with. I feel fairly confident that I'll make it to Wakkanai in early August if I don't get sick again. Or get flattened by a truck.

After running today, I weighed myself and saw that I am now only 58kg, down from 60kg at the start. That is a lot of weight coming off a skinny guy like me. It's OK, though. I'm feeling pretty good.

It's raining again tonight. I hope it stops by tomorrow morning.

No comments: