Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Group Run vs. Solo Run


June 26, 1983, Sunday

8:00am start on a sunny/partly cloudy day. Today's route was a mostly downhill course to the town of Masuda, 45km away. The run today was not too tough, except for the very hot stretch of road where I had no water. The route was very scenic, though, through small towns.

I bought some Shoe Goo today to build up the heel of my ASICS shoes that are wearing away from all the miles. During the run today, I was thinking ahead of the 70 to 80km days that I have coming up. I really would like to be alone on these runs so that I can take my time and run at my pace.

Of course, I appreciate the people who are out to help me on the run. They are extremely enthusiastic and very supportive. I have explained to the folks running with me that I have traveled a lot already and have a long road ahead of me. I need to monitor my pace so that I can survive this run.

Think back, if you will, two months from today. Do you remember what you were doing? Two months is a long time. That is how long I am scheduled to be running high mileage on the road, day in and day out, rain or shine. Once the support crews say good-bye to me, they get to go home and rest until they feel like running again. I don't have that luxury. I hope this message is getting through to the supporters and that they understand how I feel.

No comments: