Monday, July 03, 2006

Party Tonight


July 3, 1983, Sunday

It was a hot run all the way today. I left Sakyu to go to where I left off yesterday to cover the 60km to Kasumi. The route was very scenic along the coast, which was dotted with many beaches. Unfortunately, what seemed to be Bosozoku punks, or members of car/motorcycle gangs, broke up the pleasant running along the coast. These guys would zoom by with no regard for human life (other than their own) in their souped-up hot rods. All of these cars were decorated with a mighty fine looking chick sitting in the passenger seat. I must be doing something wrong...no mighty fine chick is going to want to be seen next to a skinny dude who uses his own legs for transportation, I guess.

Each time when I heard a car coming from around the bend, I scooted over to the extreme edge of the road to avoid becoming a hood ornament. Sure enough, a young punk trying to impress his chick with his “driving skills” manned every car that was speeding. Oh well, the girls must be imagining that they are riding with the late James Dean.

I was completely exhausted from being out in the sun all day and was ready for replacing my fluids. The Kasumi group put together a small gathering for me at dinnertime and I truly enjoyed their company. They kept it low-key to allow for a more relaxed, intimate atmosphere. What a wild and fun-loving bunch of people the Kasumi folks are! I had a lot of fun. The beer (Sapporo this time) was delicious. Maybe I had a few too many.

No comments: