Sunday, July 23, 2006

Tsunami Tragedy


July 23, 1983, Saturday

I started running at 9:00am this morning, but first visited the port where 36 people were washed out to sea by a tsunami last May. Amazing how such things can happen so quickly and without warning.

It was mostly cloudy, with some rain showers. Today I felt very tired and sore from the start, so I did more walking than usual to mix up the running. I told myself I'd better take it easy before I end up in the hospital again.

I ran into the town of Odate in the evening, and walked around in the rain to find a place to eat. After eating, I called Mr. Takeda of the Odate Running Club and was picked up to stay at his house. Later at night, I had dinner out in town with the running club and went back to Mr. Takeda's house to get some rest.

While everyone else was the drinking and eating, I kept saying to myself, "I've got to survive the next 2.5 weeks."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Fred,

I'm in Tokyo again. I miss having small conversations with you (or rather listening to your stories that were opening my eyes).

Thats why Im happy I can read your blog here.

Best regards
Maciej from Poland.

maciejkucia@yahoo.com

marappu said...

Hi Maciej!

I'm glad you made it back. I hope you get a chance to go to the "special festival" that you attended last year (or maybe it was the year before).

Anyway, keep up the great work with the beautiful photography that you have been producing.

Fred