Monday, July 31, 2006

Support from a Friend


July 31, 1983, Sunday

Along with some runners from the Rankoshi Running Club, I started at 9:30am. The Rankoshi runners came with me for 2km, then I was on my own. I was heading for the town of Kutchan 32km away. Although it was cloudy and raining at times, I felt pretty good today. Maybe it was because of the relatively short distance.

The scenery was beautiful from Niseko to Kutchan. A friend from Tokyo, Mr. Kayano, had arrived yesterday in Kamimena, and he jumped in for the last 5km run into Kutchan with me. He has been a big help, giving me a lot of encouragement. Mr. Kayano, who works for Toyo Ink, was the 10th place finisher in the 1982 Guam Marathon. He loves running and the marathon in particular, even though his job does not allow him the time to train as much as he wants.

I am now down to about ten more days of running until I reach that finish line. It will feel so good to finish.


Note: The photo is from the August 2, 1983 Guam Tribune newspaper.

No comments: