Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sleeping in School


July 12, 1983, Tuesday

This morning, I went back to where I rode the bus yesterday and started a slow jog from about 10:00am. This shuffling went on for a couple of hours, and by noontime when I reached the town of Nyuzen, I called it quits. That was enough for the day.

I went to Nyuzen High School, where a Nyuzen Running Club member teaches. I asked for a quiet room and took a nap. Later in the afternoon, I did an easy jog on the grass to loosen up a bit and to see how my body was reacting to the running. Even after the nap, I was still sore and very tired. I definitely need more rest. I'd better listen to my body and just rest another day before resuming my run tomorrow.

Tonight I am staying at another Youth Hostel in Asahimachi. I'm thinking about the upcoming route. I heard that there are many tunnels, and with construction going on, it will be quite dangerous. I'd better be extra alert on the road.

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Were you getting enough food and liquids in you? Sounds like the body was shutting down.

marappu said...

I thought I was, but at these extreme distances day after day, it was hard to tell. Things were happening to my body that I never experienced before.

Pitch-black stool, a sign of internal bleeding, is a scary sight. It could have been caused by the aspirin I was taking.