Friday, July 28, 2006

Phone Home


July 28, 1983, Thursday

I left the town of Mori (named after the word for "forest" in Japanese) at 10:30am and started to do some easy running mixed with walking to the town of Yakumo, or Yakumocho. The total distance covered today was 32km on a cloudy and foggy day. It is cold in this area, especially at night and when you are close to the ocean.

My knee is hurting from yesterday's run. I must have been carried away from all the excitement. I need to rest the knee for a while and just do some gentle running and walking on these shorter distance days.

At 3:30pm, I reached the town of Yakumo and contacted Mr. Sahashi for a place to sleep. I spent a quiet evening with the Sahashi family. I called Guam today and spoke with Bill Thomasson, a close friend, and also with Cinde Whitman, president of the Guam Running Club. The call cheered me up quite a bit. I have been thinking about Guam a lot lately, and looking forward to being back home.

No comments: